Saturday, February 15, 2014

"WE DID IT!" by (me!) Sandra, tvgp

KISSIN' THE CHOCOLATE BLUES: I'm so pleased; so happy... The response to our on stage valentine made all the time and effort worth while. And it's not so much what people had to say... Although their words were very encouraging; but rather it was the expression on their faces as they said kind things.. Like, "wow!" and "Dr Maya Angelou HAS TO SEE THIS!... Has she seen this? Did someone tape it?". One person said.. "the whole world needs to see this.. It can't be a one time thing". Another kind person said she was going to be writing Oprah.. In short, the feedback was very positive. "I already liked Maya Angelou.. But now I love her even more" another person said. -so beautiful to hear.. "THANK YOU!". And, several people have asked, (who didn't attend), "how many people were there?" here's the thing.. With only a week to go.. We had only sold 11 tickets.. I found that disheartening.. Everyone (especially Andrea) put some more time and effort into selling tickets via publicity and I believe there were 50 something sold.. Plus add in firehouse volunteers who stayed after their work to help fill in seats.. So we didn't perform for a full house.. But I already locked it in my heart and mind through prayer: the write people would be there, for the write reasons.. All according to God's will. Now, BRAGGING WRITES: FAITH ALPHER!!! Part of me wishes everyone could have sat in on our very first rehearsal/ dry read, so you too, could appreciate the growth, the evolution.. All I can tell you is that.. When Faith hit the stage for the actual performance.. "Wow! Wow! Wow!" -perfect for my Dr Maya Angelou! She had such a powerful, engaging, wonderful presence and I could tell she had completely -connected- to the words, the story, the poems.. faith moved that audience! Reached them.. Touched them.. Stirred them.. And I was experiencing her magic, but when the audience applauded at the conclusion of some of her readings in the middle of the performance.. I knew they were experiencing her magic too. -so exciting! and I provided the story.. But I had nothing to do with what faith would wear.. Her outfits/wardrobe; that was entirely left up to her, and I knew nothing in advance.. So to look over and see her choices in the moment/live! -that was exciting too.. I LOVED everything so came up with.. The black dress, the scarf, jacket, hat.. How many wardrobe changes? Not sure.. But she seem to land it perfectly: outfit to the lines/scenes or poems she was reading. And what awesome readings! Featured poems included Phenomenal Woman, On The Pulse of the Morning, and Still I Rise.. It is my humble and personal opinion, unbiased by friendship or admiration, untainted by flattery; that she nailed every poem! Audible comments/applause from the audience suggested I was not alone in thinking so. JESSICA REABER: there is no quantifying how much her beautiful voice and music enriched the performance..but I'm so grateful! Having her voice and guitar at the onset.. Something about it puts me immediately at ease, at peace. The way she played so soulfully in the background of On The Pulse of the Morning.. That was their, faith/jessicas idea.. And I love it so much I don't even want to read a poem without music in the background anymore. It's like they belong together, always. And to close the performance with her singing Suddenly I see.. Powering out the lyrics.. "she's got the power to be, the power to give, the power to see, yeah, yeah, yeah..!" I found out, to my surprise, this was jessica's first -official- gig, so to speak. I'm very honored! /no one ever forgets their first.. And I'll thank again here, Adam gillanders, My scary hooded man.. Andrea gillanders/Julie di Egan -flyers, publicity, program, feedback, rehearsals, meals and more..Jennifer Koch, and the volunteers.. Thanks for staying! Lights/sound thank you to mike Roberts and Greg Van Dyke.. Welcome host.. Mark duncanson.. And by the way.. After the show he said to me, "just want to tell you.. I've never seen a poetry event get a standing ovation before". -way cool. And then of course big "thank you!" to my family, friends.. And everyone who bought a ticket and helped make this dream of mine come true... You were a wonderful and much appreciated audience! With love, for my Dr Maya Angelou.. in Jesus Name, amen.   #firehouseartcenter

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Suzette said...

I was one of the lucky attendees. Loved, loved, loved the performance. Wish it was taped, hope it will continue live, dreaming of the possibilities! Thank you ladies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home