Monday, February 11, 2013

"I CAN EXPLAIN!" by (me!) sandra, tvgp


i got a late night call..  can i stay the night.  i answered yes.  i answered yes, without having the advantage of an overnight bag, clothes for the next day, make-up etc.  i answered yes, as i sat in my work uniform:  jacket, skirt, boots..   i stayed the night and borrowed clothes for the next day.  i had no other shoes, just my boots. i was not about to put the skirt and jacket back on if i didn't have to  -and 'i didn't have to!'   -my job the next day was in packaging:  sitting in a big box, putting things in little boxes  -away from the public.  who cares what you wear or look like, write.   -so i ended up in, ..."oh my God!"  kelly says, "are you wearing sweats and high heels?"   -this just killed her...   she asked to take a picture.   i got more attention on this day..  at work, walking the dogs, running in the grocery store... than; well, than i've ever gotten before.   -one of the joys that has just been removed from my packaging position, is that i've been asked to dress nicer at work..  no more, what ive affectionately referred to as, my dog walkin' outfits..   when you walk dogs after dusk, or before dawn..  do you care what you wear or look like?  not me.  i'm perfectly content in an oversized coat, whatever shoes are by the door..  go.  get the job done.   and i feel the same way about any job; if i'm not 100% obligated, mandated to dress nice, do my hair, put on make-up, etc.  it hardly seems worth the time and effort.   i could use all that energy and time being productive doing other things.   -i was made for radio really.  anyway..  i'm the first to admit, i've gotten very casual... sloppy even.   and the needs have switched, so that now i may  -at any time-  be pulled from behind the scenes in packaging to..  customer service; in public!   and so, with such a kind heart, and euphasmistic vocabulary, it was requested  (and i think not just by management, but my peers), that i, you know..  put a little more effort in.   -very well.   -but, us writers, you know..    we have a reputation for wearing pajamas all day for good reason; it's not laziness...   those hours you spend in front of a mirror..

it shows.   and the hours we put in on the keyboard; those show too.   -so now, both my part time positions are in the public..  and my only sancutary is at home   -sweet home.   -you should see me write now! in what i affectionately refer to as my bloggin' wear.    /or actually, according to my supervisor and peers; you should not.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home