Monday, June 18, 2012

SONG OF SONGS by (me!) sandra, tvgp

now i'm pretty sure   -in my whole life, i have never seen anyone holding and reading the bible and laughing really hard

but that was me, last night.   -alone in my room, randomly scanning the bible, finding passages here and there to read, digest..

mostly profound, some confusing   -all, out of their true historical context

but then i happened across, song of songs

i cannot speak to its historical context, or explain much about it from a scholarly perspective

but for a poet like myself,  words like, "let him kiss me with kisses of his mouth--

for your love is more delightful than wine."

is exactly the type of passage that's gonna keep me reading   -and so i did:

in song of songs, there is a lot of he said, she said,

i'm not going to retype everything   -read it yourself.   it's only, in my bible, 4 1/4 pages.   very doable.

and see if you don't laugh at the same places i did

4:2 & 6:6     "Your teeth are like a flock of sheep
coming up from the washing,
Each has its twin"

i mean, now we have braces, whiteners, and several other products to make your smile alluring... but back in the day..   if you just had all of your teeth,  (top and bottom!)  you were a great catch.

and,

6:10 is good of course:   who appears like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, majestic as the stars in procession


but  7:7:     -your breasts are like clusters of fruit?     -pair of something might serve as a compliment, but   7:8    -like a cluster of grapes?       

and you've already read by this time,   "your nose is like the tower of Lebanon looking for Damascus.."     that's pretty funny.   i get the feeling his heart was in the write place..  but perhaps he could have used a little help with his romantic analogies

let me close with a little something she said in chapter 7:

may the wine go straight to my beloved
flowing gently over lips and teeth

i belong to my beloved,
and his desire is for me.

Come, my beloved, let us go to the
coutryside,

let us spend the night in the villages

Let us go early to the vineyards
to see if the vines have budded

if their blossoms have opened
and if the pomegranates are in bloom--

there i will give you my love.

the mandrakes send out their fragrance,
and at our door is every delicacy,
both new and old,

that i have stored up for you, my beloved.


***

and today, my answer to the favorite word question on inside the actors studio woud be

"beloved."    -but only when it is pronounced with three syllables; be~love~ved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home