Thursday, January 19, 2023

Circa 1996: My Very First Speech as a Pleasanton Toastmaster (Club 4762!)


 






Circa 1996: My first, of the ten speeches required, to earn my CTM (Certified ToastMaster Certificate) as a member of Pleasanton Toastmasters. The first speech (ice breaker) requires you to introduce yourself to the group. I did this by sharing brief stories about each member of my immediate family; mom, dad, brother, sister, and then explaining what i have in common with them... -great family and memories they are!

My confession is that for this 'casual' 5 minute talk -i probably spent 80 hours in the writing, rehearsing, practicing, memorizing, re-practicing.. running out of breath and getting high pitched during rehearsal.. and so, literally jogging and rehearsing at the same time, to improve my breathing while i spoke.. running up and down stairs while i rehearsed.. everything so that when the big day arrived, i would breathe normal. i totally understand and respect the fear of public speaking.. but, that is exactly why Toastmasters exists..

2023 is a milestone year: both of my parents turn 80 years old, and my brother 60.. (not milestones, but i will be 57, and my sister, 54).

inspired to share this video as a type of birthday gift, -with love & gratitude for my family, and for these memories.

and offer a public "thank you!" to our awesome neighbor eric for converting my old VHS, and doing the behind the scenes tech magic that allowed me to post and link this video from youtube. -appreciate your help!

amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home